Your ‘personal data’ or ‘personal information’ is any piece of information that would allow SATRA to identify you as an individual. The processing of personal data is governed by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the ‘GDPR’) and the national laws that implement the GDPR in each European Economic Area (EEA) country.
SATRA and its subsidiaries - SATRA Technology Centre Limited, SATRA Technology Europe Limited and SATRA Technology Services (Dongguan), hereafter known collectively as ‘SATRA’ - recognise that privacy is important.
This document sets out what personal information is collected from you in relation to the services that SATRA offers, how it is intended to be used, and what your rights are with respect to that information.
2. What is SATRA?
SATRA is an international research and testing organisation established in the UK in 1919. In addition to research and product testing, our services also include product certification, laboratory accreditation and ISO 9001 auditing, the design and implementation of efficiency systems and the design and manufacture of test equipment. SATRA has offices in the UK, Europe and China.
The data controller’s address is:
SATRA Technology Centre Limited
Telford Way Industrial Estate
United Kingdom NN16 8SD
Our main telephone number is: +44 (0)1536 410000 and our general enquiries email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact our data protection officer with any data protection queries or complaints: email@example.com, +44 (0)1536 410000
3. What data does SATRA collect and why?
In order to provide support, technical guidance, test equipment and the appropriate levels of service, SATRA needs to obtain your personal data. This may include your name, address, email address, phone number, IP address, visual image from CCTV, bank and payment details and tax codes.
SATRA can obtain your personal data during one or more of the following processes:
- when you purchase SATRA products or services
- when you contact SATRA for technical support
- when you request information regarding SATRA products, services or events
- when you enquire about, or join SATRA membership
- when you participate in any research or fitting trials
- when you visit one of our offices
There may also be instances where SATRA is provided with your information in relation to a contract with another party or uses your information if you have made this public, on your website, via LinkedIn or other public means.
Holding and processing your data enables SATRA to conduct business transactions, provide further information about products, services and events relevant to you, and provide a more tailored service.
The legal basis for SATRA processing your personal data, according to Article 6 of the GDPR includes the following:
- Consent of the data subject (article 6 point (a)):
- when you become a SATRA member or subscribe to our marketing updates.
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract or to take steps to enter into a contract (article 6 point (b)):
- when you purchase any SATRA products or services, so that we can process payment, confirm the transaction and arrange the delivery of goods and services
- when you are audited by SATRA and communication is required for ongoing assessment and accreditation.
- Processing is necessary for compliance with legal obligation (article 6 point (c)):
- when you supply data during the application and certification of a product according to the PPE Regulation (2016/425) and the Construction Product Regulation (305/2011).
- Processing is necessary for the purposes of SATRA’s legitimate interests (article 6 point (f)):
- when you are a SATRA member, your data will be used to facilitate your membership
- when you partake in events such as training courses and further communication is required for ongoing assessment or resulting communication
- as an existing customer to provide information regarding relevant services which may be of benefit
- for the purposes of public and staff safety and crime prevention and detection.
4. Do third parties have access to your data?
SATRA may pass your data to third-party service providers such as agents, subcontractors, IT maintenance providers, financial and accreditation bodies and other associated organisations for the purpose of providing services for us, or on SATRA’s behalf.
With your consent, SATRA may also share your contact details with organisations or individuals that have expressed an interest in purchasing or using the goods or services that you provide.
With exception to the above, SATRA will only ever disclose the data necessary to deliver the service and will never disclose or sell your data to third parties for marketing.
5. Data processing – direct marketing
SATRA may contact you to keep you informed about updates to the goods or services that you have previously purchased or used. SATRA may also keep you informed about other goods, services, events or training that you may find of interest. SATRA may also use your data as part of geographical profiling in which we tailor marketing to you based on your location.
If you would prefer not to receive promotional information, please choose the ‘unsubscribe’ option which is present on the contact e-mail or contact our data protection officer to request removal from this process.
6. Transferring your data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
SATRA may need to transfer your personal information outside of the EEA – for example, where the data storage facilities or processing locations are in another country. SATRA will only do this when one of the following conditions applies:
- when the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and SATRA, or during the implementation of pre-contractual measures at your request
- the transfer of data is covered by binding corporate rules between SATRA internal companies
7. How long will SATRA keep your data?
SATRA will retain your personal data for the period of time that is necessary to fulfil the purposes set out in this policy. Longer retention periods may be required in some circumstances to allow SATRA to pursue its legitimate business interests, comply with legal obligations, enforce agreements and investigate complaints or appeals. Company details that are readily available in the public domain will be kept indefinitely or until SATRA is legally or contractually obliged to remove them.
8. How your data is protected?
SATRA maintains strong physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal information. SATRA has taken appropriate security measures against illegal and/or unauthorised access to your personal information, and against the accidental loss of, or damage to, it.
9. What are your rights with respect to your personal data?
You have rights with respect to the personal data that SATRA holds, including the right to ask SATRA to:
- inform you about how your data is collected and used (this privacy notice is designed to do that)
- rectify your data if you believe that it is incorrect
- delete your data (only to the extent you consented to SATRA using it)
- provide you with a copy of any data that SATRA holds on you
- tell you about automated decision-making solutions that SATRA uses
- stop processing or using your data temporarily.
You can also object to SATRA’s use of your personal information for its legitimate purposes at any time.
Should you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact the data controller using the details set out in section 2 above.
SATRA partners use automated decision-making for the following reasons:
- to review whether SATRA can give you credit facilities
- to process your payment card for your purchase to be approved.
SATRA does not handle these processes directly – they are provided by a third party. If you would like to know more about these processes and which companies to contact to find out how this data is processed, please contact the data controller using the details set out in section 2 above.
10. Will SATRA do anything else with your data in the future?
Where SATRA needs to use your personal data for any other reason than for the purpose for which it was collected, SATRA shall ensure that the reason is compatible with the original purpose.
Should it be necessary to use your personal data for reasons other than the original purpose, SATRA will notify you and communicate the legal basis which allows SATRA to do so before any new processing occurs.
The exception to this is where SATRA may use your information should there be a need to contact you in relation to a recall of any SATRA products, or for another legal reason that may require contact with you.
11. You have the right to complain to SATRA or our supervisory authority
You also have the right to lodge a complaint about SATRA’s data processing with the UK supervisory authority, details of which can be found below:
UK Information Commissioner’s Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF